By Carolyn VanBrocklin, Communications Specialist, Disability.gov
Last week, we celebrated the end of 2015 and rang in the start of 2016. This season is a time to reflect on accomplishments from the previous year and focus on goals for the New Year. Disability.gov’s year in review includes some notable highlights from this blog. We conducted our fourth annual “No Boundaries” Photo Project and met seven incredible people with fascinating stories – a Paralympic medalist, an aspiring photographer, a biscuit-maker, an advocate for people who are deaf or hard of hearing in the military and three other hard-working professionals who use their strengths to help others.
In July of 2015, the entire disability community celebrated a huge milestone: the 25th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Disability.gov was proud to post blog contributions by several notable individuals who reflected on their experiences with the ADA and looked forward to how it will continue to shape the years ahead. From former senator Tom Harkin to Andrew J. Imparato, executive director of the Association of University Centers on Disabilities, we are so thankful that our guest bloggers took the time to share their thoughts with our readers.
Finally, on to a Disability.gov tradition: our annual countdown of the Top 10 Guest Blogs. Among the blog posts our readers enjoyed most were a passionate plea from Jodi Bainter, whose son became an above-the-knee amputee after a lawnmower accident, practical financial advice for paying for long-term care while maintaining a budget, information about working from home and more. Three of our ADA guest bloggers made it into the top ten as well.
Here they are! Below are the 10 most popular guest blogs on Disability.Blog in 2015:
- A Split Second Can Change Everything – PLEASE Keep Your Children inside When Mowing by Guest Blogger Jodi Bainter
- The ADA and Claiming Disability by Guest Blogger Andrew J. Imparato, Executive Director, Association of University Centers on Disabilities
- How to Pay for Long-term Care on a Fixed Budget by Guest Blogger Max Gottlieb, Content Editor, SeniorPlanning.org
- Getting Hired for Work-at-Home Is a Different Process by Guest Blogger Paula Reuben Vieillet, President and Founder of Employment Options Inc.
- A Roadmap to “Life After High School” by Guest Blogger Tracey Fecher, Vice President of Programs for Community Gatepath
- The Importance of Reassignment as a Reasonable Accommodation under the ADA by Guest Blogger Rachel M. Weisberg, Staff Attorney, Equip for Equality
- What It’s Like to be Invisible by Guest Blogger Beth Schill
- Invisible Disabilities Week 2015 by Guest Blogger Wayne Connell, Founder and President, Invisible Disabilities Association
- Services at the IRS for People with Disabilities by Guest Blogger Kathy Davis, a Lead Senior Communications Specialist in the Wage and Investment Division of the Internal Revenue Service
- Onward! by Guest Blogger Senator Tom Harkin (Ret.)
As always, we thank YOU – our guest bloggers, our readers and our commenters. You are important to our success and we appreciate your support!
If you are new to Disability.Blog, sign up for email alerts so you don’t miss the next guest blog.
Powered by WPeMatico